Here comes fresh green season which entices us to go walking. In Sagano, you can enjoy history and culture as well as delicious meals. With each step, you will feel relaxed hiking in Sagano, which is covered with fresh green foliage. When you feel the early summer wind, it’s the time to head for Sagano. Wearing walking shoes, putting Kyoto Iitoko Map in your bag, now, ready to go. Let’s enjoy walking!
- 1Yoshoku Nishihara
4 minutes walk from JR Saga-Arashiyama station. Smack your lips with Yo-shoku style lunch popular among the locals. Please enjoy the carefully prepared dishes fully. ( Yo-shoku: Western-style food originated in Japan)
- Address:Shato-Saga 1F, 21-2,Saga-Tenryuji-Wakamiya-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:11:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (last order:2:00 p.m.), 5:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. (last order:9:00 p.m)
- Closed:Every Monday but when a holiday falls on a Monday, it is open on that day but closed the next day.
- Access:Near the bus stop of Kyoto city bus or Kyoto bus, “Saga-Arashiyama-eki-mae”
Japanese confectionary shop in front of Nio-mon gate of Seiryoji temple. It was founded in the Meiji period (1868-1912). The shop’s specialty, Sakura-mochi (pink-colored rice cake with bean paste wrapped in a salted cherry leaf) and the owner’s recommendation, Hanami-dango (rice dumpling) are available throughout the year.
- Address:28, Saga-shakado-Daimon-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Closed:Every Thursday
- Access:3 minutes walk from Kyoto city bus stop “Saga-shakado-mae.”
- 3Nisonin temple
In autumn, the path which leads you to the temple is called “Riding ground of autumn color” but in the early summer, it becomes literally a “Riding ground of green maples.” Hydrangea starts blooming in June.
- Address:27, Saga-Nisonin-monzen-chojin-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:9:00 a.m.-4:30.p.m.
- Access:15 minutes walk from Saga-Arashiyama station on the JR Sagano line
- 4Gio-ji temple
In early summer Gio-ji temple enveloped with green moss and green maple leaves.You can have a peaceful time breathing fresh air deeply.
- Address:32, Saga-Toriimoto-Kosaka-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:9:00 a.m.-4:30.p.m. (cut-off time)
- Closed:Jan. 1st
- Access:15 minutes walk from the bus stop of Kyoto city bus or Kyoto bus “Saga-Shakado-mae.”
The restaurant’s specialty, “Shinko.” It has been loved by worshippers visiting Atago shrine for over 400 years. The steamed mochi (rice cake) is made from rice powder in Okudo-san (old Japanese style kitchen) and served with brown sugar and soy bean flower.
- Address:16, Saga-toriimoto-senno-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:11:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (last order:7:00 p.m.)
- Open:365 days a year
- Access:5 minutes walk from Kyoto bus stop “Toriimoto”
Café on Kiyotaki-michi street. Take a rest and enjoy relaxing time with a drink and light meals cooked with organic or domestically produced ingredients.
- Address:1F, 9-1, Saga-shakado-Fujinoki-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (last order : 5:30 p.m.)
- Closed:irregular holidays (It is recommended to inquire in advance.)
- Access:5 minutes walk from Kyoto bus stop “Sagashakado-mae”, near Kyoto city bus stop “Daikakuji-michi”
- 7Heading for the Daikakuji area
We recommend you visit famous Daikakuji temple or Jikishi-an where you can enjoy beautiful fresh greenery. On your way there, fields, rice paddies and mountain ranges in Kita-saga area will please your eyes. You can take a bus conveniently from the bus stop in front of Daikakuji to go to Kyoto station and Shijo-Karasuma.
This information is correct as of January, 2014.