Many people visit Kyoto to enjoy the beautiful colors in autumn. We conducted a survey and asked visitors where are their favorite and most impressive places with the most attractive autumn colors. Our survey received the largest numbers of answers stating: Kyoto-- “The Saga Arashiyama area!” People gave various options. One was, “It is spectacular in autumn and a well-known and popular spot for sightseeing.” Others also said, “This is the number one place for me in autumn.” This time we have selected the Saga Arashiyama area on this web site. We will introduce you to suitable but uncrowded places which represent Kyoto.
- 2Daihikaku Senko-ji temple
When you proceed to Rankyo going along the west side of Oi River, the direction brings you to a temple that has beautiful scenery.
- Address:62 Nakao Shitamachi, Arashiyama, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto City
- Access:30 minutes walk from Arashiyama Station on the Randen Arashiyama line
It is situated on the bank of Oi River. The shop has a long history of more than 100 years.
- Address:1 Genrokuzan-cho, Arashiyama, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto City
- Closed:Around December 10th 〜 March 9th
Closed on rainy days, and when the level of the river rises it is also closed.
- Access:15 minutes walk from Arashiyama Station on the Randen Arashiyama line
- 5Okochi Sanso Garden
When you go through Arashiyama Park, you will arrive at the entrance of Okochi Sanso Garden. It has a connection with a once a popular movie star.
- Address:8 Tabuchiyama-cho, Saga Ogurayama, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto City
- Open:a.m.9:00-p.m.5:00, Open all year round
- Access:10 minutes walk from Kyoto City bus stop, “Nonomiya”. 15 minutes walk from Arashiyama Station on the Randen Arashiyama line.
- 6Passageway of Bamboo Forest
There is a passageway of bamboo forest representing Arashiyama near the entrance of Okochi Sanso Garden.
- 7Kyo-ryori Misho
Kyo-ryori Misho is a restaurnat of Kyoto cuisine, which is situated in an area that is not crowded. The food is very tasty and is reasonably priced.
- Address:7 Urayanagi-cho, Saga Shaka-do Monzen, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City
- Open:a.m.11:30-p.m.2:00, and from p.m.5:00-p.m.9:00
- Closed:Wednesdays, and the second Tuesday of each month
- Access:12 minutes walk from Saga Arashiyama Station on JR Sagano line, and 7 minutes walk from Arashiyama Station on Randen Arashiyama line.
- 8Saga tofu Morika
Morika is a thriving tofu shop in Arashiyama.
- Address:42 Fujinoki-cho, Saga Shakado, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City.
- Closed:Wednesdays, irregularly closed on the third and forth Tuesdays of each month.
- Access:15 minutes walk from Saga Arashiyama Station on JR Sagano line, very near to Kyoto City Bus and Kyoto Bus stop, “Saga Shaka-do Mae”.
- 9Jikishi-an temple
Jikishi-an is situated in Kita Saga. It is surrounded by bamboo and autumn colors.
- Address:3 Kitanodan-cyo, Kitasaga, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto City
- Open:a.m.9:00-p.m.5:00（final admission is p.m.4:30), a.m.9:00〜p.m.4:00 in January, February, June, July, August, and September
- Access:15minutes walk from Kyoto City bus stop, “Daiakaku-ji”
This information is correct as of Norvember, 2011.