The name Imadegawa might remind people of the subway Imadegawa station and Doshisha University. This area is situated on the north of Kyoto Imperial Park and it is a delightful area where not many people know. You can feel the traditional culture and history there. For example, regarding the tea ceremony, houses of the Grand Tea Master are situated around the Imadegawa area. There are Chado Research Center Gallaries and a lot of tea utensil shops are found in the area. The area has a number of monzeki temples whose successive head priests originate from imperial or aristocratic lineage – Kyoto Imperial Palace is situated near there. There are also some temples which have a close relationship with artists of the 17th and the 18th century, such as Korin Ogata and Koetsu Honami. Some shops have continued for generarions in traditional Kyoto town houses. You can discover a lot of interesting things when you walk around the area. Why don't you stroll around Imadegawa at a leisurely pace as your fancy dictates and discover a variety of interesting places in Kyoto some guide books may not list.
- 1be Kyoto
It is a rental space and gallery which has been renovated in a traditional Kyoto suburban house which is said to be approxmately 200 years old. As well as an exhibition of art, culture lessons and a market of handmade goods are held periodically.
- Address:429-1 Anrakukoji-cyo, on the north side of Kamidachiuri, west of Shinmachi, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto
- Open:10:00-18:00 When a lesson takes place at night, it is open until 20:00
- Access:10 minutes walk from Imadegawa Station on the subway Karasuma line. Seven minutes walk from Kyoto city bus stop, “Kamigyo Sogocyosha-mae”.
- 2Kyo・Nishijin Hayashi Kotaro no Su
This is a vinegar shop more than 170 years old. You can experience making ponzu: vinegar with citrus juice of your choice.
- Address:455 Dosho-cho, on the east of Shinmachi Teranouchi, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto
- Closed:Sunday, holiday, the second and the forth Saturday
- Access:10 minutes walk from Imadegawa Station on the subway Karasuma line Reservation: A reservation is needed 3 days before the day when you attend the class of making ponzu. (A class is limited to 5 people.)
- 3Atelie Re:
In the studio on the first floor of textile maker,”Hinaya”, an epoch-making cooperative project is in progress.
- Address:406-1 Furuki-cho (the 1st floor of Hinaya), on the east of Teranouchi-Shinmachi, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto
- Closed:Sunday, Monday, holiday
- Access:10 minutes walk from Imadegawa Station on the subway Karasuma line
- 4Saron Tawaraya
When you proceed down the alley of Tawaraya Yoshitomi, Ogawa branch you will find a tea room. Why don't you go in and relax while enjoying Japanese sweets such as anmitsu, zenzai, or a variety of other freshly made delicious sweets.
- Address:592 Hokyoin Higashi-machi, on the west of Teranouchi Ogawa, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto
- Access:Near Kyoto city bus stop, “Horikawa Teranouchi”
This information is correct as of January, 2014.