Why not get around Kyoto on a bicycle in September and October as this time has a comfortable climate? A pleasant route to cycle is from the Kamo River and Kamigamo through Kitayama, Takaragaike to Iwakura. Autumn is the season when most people become active and get out and enjoy food, appreciate the arts and sports. We invite you to experience the various aspects of Kyoto; such as history, nature, food, and a row of old traditional houses in quaint streets. Also interesting to see is traditional handiwork.
- 1The Kamo River
This is the main river in Kyoto. The road along the river is a typical cycling road.
- 2Kamigamo Shrine
This is a World Heritage site and situated on the north of Kyoto. It has two national treasures and forty-one important cultural properties.
- Address:339 Kamigamo Honzan , Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:Inside Romon Gate, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. but other temple area is open at a time.
- Access:Close to the bus stop of Kyoto City Bus, Kamigamo-jinjya Mae 5 minutes walk from the bus stop of Kyoto City Bus, Kamigamo Misono-bashi
- 3Shake-machi Town Area
There is a line of residences previously lived in by Shinto priests who used to serve at Kamigamo Shrine. This is one of Preserved Districts for groups of Historic Buildings in Kyoto.
It used to be a priest's residence who served at Kamigamo Shrine and it sells handmade small articles made of silk crape.
- Address:1 Kamigamo Kitaoji-cho, Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Opening and closing days are at random.
- Access:7 minutes walk from the bus stop of Kyoto City Bus, Kamigamo Jinja Mae
- 6Radio Bagle
The Blue tarpaulin is a landmark for visitors.
Bagels made from healthy fresh ingredients are very popular.
They have eat-in corners where you can eat bagels you bought here.
- Address:Kuse-haitsu 101, 9 Kamigamo-Ikehata-cho Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Closed:Every Monday
- Access:7 minutes walk from Kitayama station on city subway Karasuma line
We head for Lake Takaraga-ike going through a suburb of Kyoto which has variety of shops and a botanical garden.
- 9Streets of Iwakura
Iwakura, the town located at the foot of mountains. It has a distinctive atmosphere different from the central area of Kyoto.
- 10Shinroku Togeikan
You can participate in the pottery workshop at this studio where you can enjoy the view of the sacred mountain Mt. Hiei.
- Address:322, Iwakurahataeda-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Pottery Workshop:9:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
(Advanced reservations are required.)
- Closed:During Bon Vacation,During the year-end and New Year holidays
- Access:10 minutes walk from Kyoto-Seikadaimae station on Eizankurama line
- Bike rental shop we rent our bicycles
This information is correct as of September, 2011.