When the New Year comes, people visit Shinto shrines or Buddhist temples to be blessed with good luck for the year. However, it is not the only way to receive good luck. You can feel divine favors through a variety of experiences such as eating or wearing something special, and so on. This time, we will take you to Fushimi Inari-taisha shrine, Sennyu-ji temple and Kyoto Station area. You can easily go around this area by train. Enjoy exploring Kyoto and bringing a lot of good luck back home.
- 1Fushimi Kandakara-jinja Shrine
A Shinto shrine located in a short distance from Senbon-Torii gate of Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine. It has a strong association with dragons.
- Address:15 Fukakusa- sasayama-cho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:Shrine grounds open to the public 24/7 year round Shrine Office
- Access:15 minutes walk from Inari station on the JR Nara line
15 minutes walk from Fushimi-Inari station on the Keihanhonsen line
- 2An approach to Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine
The front approach to Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine is lined with many souvenir shops and restaurants.
- 3Sohonke Hogyoku-do
White-miso and sesame flavored "Inari Senbe" cookie in the shape of fox. It is very popular as a souvenir.
- Address:27 Fukakusa-Ichinotsubo-cho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:7:30a.m.-19:00p.m. , 365 days a year
- Access:5 minutes walk from Inari station on JR Nara line
Only a short walk from Fushimi-Inari station on the Keihanhonsen line
- 4Unryu-in temple
You can copy a Buddhist sutra after purifying yourself at the temple.
- Address:36 Sennyujisannai-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Open:9:00a.m.-17:00p.m. ( Ticket counter closes at 16:30p.m. If you would like to copy Buddhist sutra, you should enter before 15:30p.m.)
- Access:20 minutes walk from Tofukuji station on the JR Nara line, Keihan line
15 minutes by bus from the bus stop of Kyoto City Bus, Sennyuji-michi.
- 5Temple town around Kyoto station
There are a lot of long-established shops which sell Buddhist objects and other things around Higashi Honganji temple and Nishi Honganji temple in the Kyoto station area.
- 6Yagi Butsugu-Ten (Yagi Buddhist object shop)
Founded in 1790. Buddhist rosary shop in front of Higashi Honganji temple in Kyoto. You can find everyday-use Buddhist rosary bracelet.
- Address:324 Karasuma-kado, Kamijyuzuya-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
- Access:8 minutes walk from Karasuma-chuo exit of JR Kyoto station
This information is correct as of December, 2011.